Chapter 3
Last night around 5:00, we were cooking dinner and watching TV when we saw that another sever storm was headed our way. We didn't think much about it because we have them all of the time. Our friends across the river in Omaha said that the sirens were sounding off but there wasn't much in the sky. The next thing we know the power goes out. Aaron and I head to the kitchen to look outside and the wind is picking up. We run out to put our little trampoline away and it starts to pour and the wind is really ripping. I get drenched in a matter of seconds. Aaron stayed in the garage and I run back in the house to be with the kids. Outside reminded me of the hurricane that went through South Carolina when we lived there. The storm only lasted about 20 min. but it caused major damage through out the area. The wind was blowing around 90 miles an hour and we got about 2 inches of rain. Picture the TV reports of hurricanes and that is what it was like.This is what our house looked like. We had no damage. Just a bunch of leaves and branches. On the positive side, NO WATER in the house!!!!
This is a limb from our neighbors tree in the front of our house.
The trampoline caught a lot of the hail that came down. The kids had fun jumping in it.
OK, so they are not golf ball size, but Cameron was pretty impressed. He said, "So, this is what hail looks like."
This is our neighbors backyard. That tree took out the power and cable lines. We were told by our neighbor that we might not get power back for 3 days. I didn't sleep much last night. I kept thinking about all of the unpleasant things that have happened to us in the last 3 weeks. I knew that if we went without power for 3 days, I would just so insane. The stress in our house is way above insane level right now. I know that Heavenly Father was looking our for me because around 3:30 that morning the lights came pouring back on. Relief just washed over me.
The rest are pictures of around our neighborhood. After the storm stopped everyone came out of there homes to look at the damage. A few minutes after we came outside the sirens started to go off. They were a little late. We heard from neighbors that there were power lines down all over. Traffic on all of the roads were backed up. There were semi-trucks turned over and jackknifed. One neighbor had her backyard patio furniture blow into her windows. One neighbor across the street had a tree fall on their house. Lots of houses were missing shingles. Two young men were killed when a tree fell on their car.I called my mom after the storm. I told her I was about to ship the kids to her. While she was taking to Lincoln, she told him that he needed to get on a plane and Grandma would pick him up from the airport. This morning he asked me when grandma was coming. I told him that she was not coming. He then said, "Well, who is going to pick me up?" Good thing we only have a few weeks left before we head to Idaho.
Hopefully this is the end of our story. I still have not come up with a good title for it. I don't want to add any more chapters. Needless to say, we will not be staying in this area when our time here is through. All of our friends in the northwest, start looking for jobs for us.
Hiking Badger Mountain and a Happy Anniversary
5 years ago






3 comments:
YIKES!!! So glad that everyone in your house and your house itself are doing just fine! I agree that I would not really want to live in a regions of the states with that weather profile. -S
Holy cow, Ang!! How very scary! June sucks, lets hope July is better...
Ang,
I have been out of town for a while and finally am getting the chance to catch up on everyone's blog readings. I was so sorry to hear of the loss of Aaron's mom. Please know our thoughts and prayers go out to you guys during this time.
I can't believe the month you guys have had too. All these storms on top of everything else... on the bright side I am so relieved to know you guys are safe, sound, and unharmed.
Thinking of you and your adorable family!
April
Post a Comment