Thursday, April 9, 2009

We actually watched it all

Last weekend was General Conference. We watch on T.V. or Internet to our Prophet and other members of our church. It consists of 4, two hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday. I always struggle with how to get the kids to sit and listen. There are tons of website out there that have great ideas. I was a little late in getting myself organized for the day but considering this, we did really great. We will watch conference again in October. I am going to be better prepared next time. My friend Tiffani had a great post on her blog with all of the links.

So the day of, I quickly printed off these packets. Inside there was a page for every member of the First Presidency and Quorum of the 12. You were suppose to draw what their face looked like, take notes on their talk, color in the tie, and mark off if they wore glasses, were bald, bore their Testimony, used a cane or wheelchair, and what color of suit they had on. I picked this packet because if worked for all 4 of the boys. Lincoln had a great time giving each person who talked a mohawk. Cameron did great at taking notes and drawing their faces. Noah only wanted to take notes and Dallin just had fun coloring. I know that the little boys did not get much out of listening. But I was really proud of us for watching all 8 hours of conference that weekend. We usually only watch on Sunday. I searched my kitchen and came up with popcorn, crackers, cookies, marshmallows, candy, fruit snacks, and soda to keep their interest.

The little boys would ask me if they were wearing a blue suit. At one point Dallin asked, "Is it a red suit or green suit?"



Here are some quotes that stood out to me.

Oh, it is wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father loves us—even with all our flaws! His love is such that even should we give up on ourselves, He never will.

We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father won’t, for He sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of becoming.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and women for the eternities. -Joseph B. Wirthlin Pres. Uchtdorf talk.

The future is as bright as our faith.- Pres. Thomas S. Monson

Great talk in the Saturday morning session by Margaret Lifferth on Respect and Reverence

The Lord will shape the back to fit the burden placed upon it.- Pres. Thomas S. Monson

On modest dress
You can't be a lifesaver if you look like all the others on the beach.- Dallin H. Oaks

You are never lost when you can see the temple- Gary Stevenson
Great talk on making your home a temple. He was talking about having your home clean and organized. Aaron told Cameron something about that is why we keep the house clean. Cameron responded with "It doesn't have to be as clean and organized as you want it."

1 comments:

Edwards trio said...

I love the one by Pres Monson about shaping the back to fit the burden. Another quote that I loved was "Come what may and love it." It was a good conference!