Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The most wonderful time of the year

It's that time of year again. The most wonderful time of the year. When all the kiddos go back to school and the house is quite for most of the day. Don't get me wrong. I love my kids and like having them around, but 5 kids, mostly boys, does make for a loud, rambunctious house. Though a new school does make it a little harder for me to let go. I always worry about them finding friends and not spending the day alone. It breaks my heart to see them wondering around the playground by themselves.

C is now in 8th grade, yes I said 8th grade! He is getting in the grades where I have very vivid memories. It is hard to believe that I am old enough to have a teenager. He is very independent and studious. He usually gets his homework done at school during down times in other classes. He knows that if he gets it all done quickly, he will have more time to play the computer at home. He is in Honors math and english. He also decided to give cross country a try this year. So far so good. I am not a runner. I am just glad that he is trying it. He can ride his bike to school. That is a first for our family. He is still doing percussion in the band and taking guitar lessons.
N is a big 5th grader. I asked him if he wanted me to walk him to his class this year and he told me no because he is old enough to do it by himself. I guess there comes a point where they don't need me to hold their hand any more. N is the one I worry about. He has a hard time with change and making friends. So far things are going better then I hoped for. He has a great teacher who paired him up with another new kid. I think it also helps that I trust him enough to walk his little brothers to and from school without me. He is one of the sweetest kids I know. Noah is taking piano and will start band in school. He his thinking about the trumpet or flute.

the Pres. is now in 1st grade and so excited for school each day. We will see how long that lasts. He is excited to have his own desk. The Pres. is a ladies man. At his last school, he had a few girl friends. I don't doubt that he will be the same here.

The Big D finally made it to kindergarten. He has wanted to be just like his brothers for so long. He did do preschool last year but THIS is the real thing. All day kindergarten is a little hard when you are use to taking a rest time at school. He looked pretty pooped after the first full day. He is excited to read and write.

Here is the little missy. She is so close to being 3 and wants to go to school just like the brothers. In fact, we make her a lunch every day and put it in her lunch bag just like the brothers. The house is pretty quite with just her. Now I have to get use to having her be my shadow again. Lastly are some great pictures of her after we dropped the boys at school. She wanted to stay.

1 comments:

Sara K. said...

Funny how back to school is different when you 'sit on different sides of the desk' so to speak! I go back on Monday, but our kids get to have summer until the Tuesday after labor day! Enjoy your free-er time (for I know that as a mom of 5, there is no real free time!!!)

PS-How can Cameron be so grown up!?!?!?