Sorry, no pictures with this post. Just an update.
So, back when I was pregnant with Rowyn, they found a nodule on my thyroid. My blood work came back all messed up and so they wanted me to do a thyroid uptake and scan. Basically, you take a pill that has radioactive iodine in it and then you go back and have pictures taken of your thyroid. Your thyroid gland loves iodine. I couldn't do that test at the time because I was pregnant. They decided to do a ultrasound and found the nodule or small mass. They then did a biopsy and the results came back inconclusive. The surgeon told me because of the size to keep an eye on it and but was not concerned at the time.
Jump ahead two years later. I didn't do anything about it. It was always on the back of my mind, but I never took the time to go in and have it checked out again. Last Monday, I finally took the time to talk to my doctor about it. My blood work was still off, so I went in and had the uptake and scan. The nodule is still there and it is causing my thyroid to over work, giving me hyperthyroidism.
How do you get rid of hyperthyroidism? You have to become radioactive! Since your thyroid loves iodine, you take a pill that has radioactive iodine (different from the kind for the uptake and scan) and it kills off the nodule. The hope is to only kill off the nodule, but you do run the risk of killing the whole thyroid gland, thus leaving me with hypothyroidism and taking medication the rest of my life. The best part is that you are literally radioactive. Here are a list of precautions I have to take. I am not sure how long, but for at least a week.
Sleep alone for 2-5 days
Sole uses of a bathroom, which around here will be nice. No more sitting on a wet seat. Double flush and wipe clean.
No traveling
Wash clothes and silverware separate from those in your house.
Avoid prolonged close contact with others. In other words, do not sit and read your kids a book.
Stay at least 9 feet from others
Now you ask, How do I do this with 5 kids? My husbands answer: We will figure it out. Me on the other hand, I start thinking about my day and how much time I spend with my kids. Luckily all of them are in school for most of the day except Rowyn. The really hard part, she loves to be around me, sitting on me, laying down with me, walking two steps behind me, or on top of me. Moms can't be sick or radioactive. I am having the procedure done on Friday morning. My good friend and visiting teacher has already offered to take Rowyn for me every morning until nap time for the next week. The hard part will be after school until Aaron gets home. I know this needs to be done and the procedure will help me in the long run,but it is going to be a tough week, but we can do it. If you see me, and I avoid you, don't take it personal.
Hiking Badger Mountain and a Happy Anniversary
5 years ago






7 comments:
Wow Angie! That's an interesting predicament. I am so glad that they can do something about it though. I wish I were there to help you out. Sometimes it seems like all we want is for our kids to stay away and leave us alone for a while. Now that you have to do it, you realize what an impossible dream that is! You are so right, Mom's cannot be radioactive. good luck and I wish I were there to help you. Maybe Aaron can bring home a few of those led-lined x-ray blankets and you can make yourself a suit or something!
Oh Angie I am so sorry. I kind of understand what you will be dealing with. My sister in law has had thyroid cancer three times. She has had to be completely isolated for a week with no contact from anyone when she has done her radioactive treatments. So I wish I could help you to. I can't imagine trying to be close but not to close to my children. That is the hardest thing to ask a mom to do. I hope the treatment goes well for you. I am sure Aaron is right things always have away of working out when we have the greatest need. I'll be thinking of you.
Angie..that just stinks! Call me if you need me to take Rowyn in the afternoons!
Ang
I am sure it will be a tough week but I know you are strong and can do it!! Hang in there.
The biologist in me was fascinated by this I must admit. I have never known anyone who was radioactive.
Keep us posted.
Hugs
April
so wish we lived closer so Rowyn could come and play with Amelia!
will be thinking of you.
I hope your procedure goes well and that you and the family can deal with all the crazy restrictions!!
I'll be praying for you.
Good luck with that, lol
At least you'll get some time to urself, that's always needed. Thinking of you!
Post a Comment