A lot of people have asked me where we got Rowyn's name or how you pronounce it. Here is her name story. Aaron and I have a hard time naming our children. We don't like common names. We always look for something a little different. Cameron was always going to be Cameron. I wanted my first son named that and it happened to be Aaron's middle name. We picked Noah's name about 2 weeks before he was born. When we found out that we were going to have a 3rd boy, Aaron said that since I named the first two, he wanted to name this one. So I left it up to him. Our choices were Lincoln or Brady. Aaron had a hard time deciding. We actually left the hospital without naming him but turned around and went back to turn in his birth certificate with Lincoln. Dallin was our girl name. The name has been around since Noah, but we really wanted to use it for a girl. When we were told that we were having boy number 4, we gave up and gave it to him. When we found out that we were having a girl, we had no names picked out because we gave away the one name that we both liked. Our process goes like this, we hear a name and throw it out there, whether we like it or not, and see what the other one has to say about it. I really liked Lillia. It was a name that I heard back in college. Aaron didn't like any of my names and I didn't like any of his. One night on our way out of the temple, I saw a car that had the stickers of the family on the window and all of their names. One of the names was Rowan. I don't know if it was for a boy or a girl. I threw it out there, not knowing if I liked it or not, and to my surprise, Aaron loved it. For the longest time I didn't like it. I thought it was a boy's name but it started to grow on me. After she was born, I started calling her Lillia. It just didn't fit. She did not look like a Lillia to me. She looked more like a Rowyn. I was a little disappointed and surprised the she would look like one name and not the other. I spelled it with a "y" so it would look more girly. It seems to be the top pick of the people who gave their opinions, including the nursing staff at the hospital. Now, how exactly do you say it. If you ask Cameron it is really easy. He would say, It's like your rowin' a boat. I wanted her named after me, since she is the only girl in the family and that is were the Angela came from. So far she is an excellent baby. She even let me sleep for 5 hours the other night.
Hiking Badger Mountain and a Happy Anniversary
5 years ago






4 comments:
How fun to hear your naming strategies. Rowyn is a very old name that has some very deep roots in literature (especially that of the British Isles. I found this great article about it, not quite the same spelling but still the same basis! I like it! -S
she has dallin's mischievous grin!!!
Like i said, dad was having a hard time with the name and I got it real easy for some reason, but i told dad, "It's like rowin' a boat". Great minds think a like. :)
Beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl!
Post a Comment