No, it is not a skunk. It is a black squirrel. They are every where here. I think that there are more then brown ones. They say that this is the only place in the US that have them. They are very proud of them here. In fact, if you are caught harassing the squirrels they can fine you $50.
Hiking Badger Mountain and a Happy Anniversary
5 years ago






2 comments:
Way back when (you can check the info board at the National Zoo to find out the exact date) maybe back in the 1910's there were thousands of squirrels in DC. Everyone started killing them like crazy, and their population fell so drastically that the DC government decided to protect them. So they fined people who killed them. Now they are all over the place again (it is the only animal we ever see, besides an occasional roadkill deer or raccoon--never anything alive though). I have always wondered, Why protect a squirrel? To me, they are a kin to rats and mice and coons. But obviously there are others who think more highly of them!
There are black squirrels here too! I was really surprised when I saw my very first one. I had only really seen the regular brownish gray ones in Boise! Nice pictures though! I haven't been able to catch a shot of one for the blog. -S
Post a Comment