Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mother of the year award

First, I want to start with a Dallin cast update. At the beginning of the month, Dallin fell out of a shopping cart and fractured his right arm. That was a Tuesday. My doctor was out of town so the ER put him in a soft cast and told me to see my doctor. My doctor was not available until Wednesday of the next week. By Friday, Dallin was tired of the soft cast. It covered his hand and he couldn't do anything with it on. No playing the computer or the WII or climbing trees. While I was in the shower that morning, he took the soft cast off completely and hid it so I could not find it. By then I had had enough. I took him to the doctors office and the nice nurse took pity on my and casted it.

One week later we go to let the doctor see it. Dallin has beaten the cast up so much that they put another cast on top of the old one to reinforce it. Life is a lot easier when you can use your fingers. Dallin spent the next three weeks climbing trees, handing for the bars, jumping on the tramp, riding his scooter. Nothing, not even a cast will stop him.

The day before we go in to have an xray to make sure it has healed, I have to fish a barrette out the the cast. I say to Aaron, " I will not be surprised tomorrow when they take the xray and find more stuff down his cast." Sure enough, I was right. He had a penny down his cast that they needed to get out before they could read his xray. We have the picture to prove it. so, his arm is all healed but the doctor wants to leave it on one more week because, and I quote, "he is an active boy". Four days after the xray, he shoves a green crayon down his cast and I can't get it out. So again, I take him in and the nurses just laugh. He now has is cast off and is doing just fine. I do remind him of his cast in the hopes that he will be a little more careful next time.

Now to the mother of the year award, which is not going to me. In fact, I am the neglectful mother of the year. Dallin, (again with him. Now when i start with his name everyone is going to think, now what did he do) has had a slightly drippy nose for probably over 4 weeks now. I really can't remember how long it has been. I thought it was allergies and was giving him medicine for that. About two weeks ago his breath started stinking really, really, really badly. I couldn't stand to be around him it was that bad. I thought it was because of his drippy nose and breathing through his mouth. Last night I was brushing his teeth and happened to look up his nose. Now I ask you, how often do you look up your kids nose? I bet after this story you will look up there every day. I thought I saw a boogy up there and tried to get it out. I had to get tweezers to get a hold of it but I couldn't get it to come out. I would get small pieces of it but not the whole thing. By now I knew there was something up there that should not be there. I was a little afraid to pull really hard so I called in reinforcements, Daddy.

I should stop here and say this is not for the faint of heart. Just thinking about it makes me shiver and cringe. I didn't want to blog about it either but Aaron thought it would make a good story. I didn't want to let everyone know what a bad mother I am. He also wanted me to take a picture of it but I wanted to spare you all.

Aaron finally got a hold of it and pulled and out came this nasty smelling, to the point that I gagged, piece of foam from the stuffing of a chair. I was soo gross. I just about died thinking how long that had to have been up there. We went to the doctor again today and the nurses were asking him what he did this time. We got it all out and the doctor said that it is irritated "to all get out" but he should be fine. The doctor said, "he IS a boy", but really, Dallin is turning out to be the equivalent to 4 boys in 1 little boy body. At least he keeps life interesting for us.

7 comments:

IdahoGirls said...

You know I always knew God only gave me girls for a reason - He knew I could not handle it. Mothering is not for the faint of heart and I think having boys takes even more courage. Great story Ang!! I would have liked the picture of the chair stuffing - but that is the Biologist in me.

Hugs

April

Camille English said...

Reading your blog makes me wonder if I want to try to have kids because I might get a boy. And it makes me really thankful for my girls!

When I was a kid there was a kid in our ward who had the same bad breathe and the Dr pulled an old sponge and a pea out.

You deserve the Mother of the year award for keeping him alive.

Whitney said...

I agree with Camille! you're doing great Ang!
{{hugs}}

Bonnie said...

Don't worry, I still think you're mother of the year, even if your kids have their own intentions! Just keep up the great stories. One day, Dallin will look back at all of these things and laugh. My little brother (also the 4th child,) was just as "active" and into everything, and it is great family conversation now to muse at his antics back in the day.

jody said...

thanks to Aaron for making you share with us!
I'm thinking that maybe 3 kids is enough for me :) don't know if I have the courage to have an 'active' 4th child. My Amelia is testing my patience enough!!!

Would love to get together this summer when you are here.

angie said...

oh man... your story totally grossed me out!! my girls have bad breath a lot of the time too... maybe i should check up their noses!! ha ha ha ha

Kyle.Sharo.Chase.Matti.Cole.Zach said...

I love your stories!!! You are a great mom-boys will just be boys, I am finding that out myself!

I had to cancel my facebook account too for the same reasons!